Friday, May 28, 2010
Yesterday I felt very unproductive. I came to a rough spot in my knitting pattern for my sexy babushka project (yes it can be done), and so I turned to some scraps of industrial felt left over from a furniture project that I did last semester. I sketched out a few ideas for felt bowls and boxes, but nothing interesting came out of it.
Just last week I received my first needle felting supplies in the mail, and as exciting as it was to get 2 pounds of undyed roving and 6 felting needles, I just didn't have anything to stab. I had an idea. I could stick some of the roving onto the industrial felt with the needles. I had some really great rusty colored roving that would look brilliant on a gray background.
As you can see, the final product came out pretty nicely for a first try at needle felting. I put some little dots of of latex carpet backing on them so that they would not slide off the table.
If you really like them, you can buy a set here, or you can probably make your own.
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Here is the finished scarf. I have put it up on etsy and I hope to make more. It really matches my coat and makes me wish that winter would come soon.
In other news, today we turned on the air conditioning.
Sunday, May 23, 2010
It takes a long time to knit chainmaille, but it looks pretty interesting when it is done. It took me a few months to finish this cowl out of felted rings, but I think it was worth the work. The rings are .5" cord with a 1.25" ID woven in a euro 4-1 pattern.
I will be posting pictures of my color and half Persian experimentation soon, and possibly some pictures of a new, faster version of this concept.